Sunday 31 October 2010

Don't talk- create - art journal cover


'

I never finished any art journal in my life- but I did a lot of covers from this very cheap and great Canson mini albums.
So this is another new cover  and I hope to begin with the inner pages some day .
I did some  white  ink stamping, heat embossing, inking resist technique, stamping all over, collaging, lace pleating and working on this Tando creative floral corner chipboard..
Anyway it can't be " working"- it was mostly trying to do something with an unknown result.
Fists I  added some white gesso, than inked with a distress ink and it was a great  brownish mute color..
But then I decided to add some 3d  glue over it and the mute color became the blazing red..
Who need this red on this vintage cover? So I added some beads as I thought it will help to deminish this red.. No chance.. I tryed to use some alcohol inks- brown and green as this became the hard  epoxy surface.. Nothing.. Still bright red.. So I  painted it with white paint dry  brush here and there..Still shining red with some white.
As a last step- before it goes to the trash- I added some distress stickles- and here it is.. Not so red anymore, mixed media vintage  look.. A bit of a mess- but doesn't mixed media is all about a mess?
 As a final touch I added  some fibers,ribbons, Tim Holtz key, pin, clock and a charm and made a title with 3 fonts and I am really happy with a result.
So don't afraid to do some crazy chipboard covering- maximum it will  go to the trash (O, no,
 it took me too long to get my new chips from UK.. So I do my best to " save" them all... )
And a punch line: don't afraid to try.. In mixed media area you can  experiment as much as you want and still get some unique  look..

3 comments:

Zoechaos said...

Wonderful cover and Irit has made it look as if the flowers are seperate and added to the swirl very clever. xx Zoe

Kaz said...

This is just gorgeous Irit xx

Karen said...

This is outstanding Irit...beautiful work X